India- Egypt Political Relations
India and Egypt, two of the world’s oldest civilizations, have enjoyed a history of close contact from ancient times. Even prior to the Common Era, Ashoka’s edicts refer to his relations with Egypt under Ptolemy-II. In modern times, Mahatma Gandhi and Saad Zaghloul shared common goals on the independence of their countries, a relationship that was to blossom into an exceptionally close friendship between Gamal Abdel Nasser and Jawaharlal Nehru, leading to a Friendship Treaty between the two countries in 1955. The Non-Aligned Movement was a natural concomitant of this relationship. India and Egypt share close political understanding based on this long history of contacts and continuing cooperation on bilateral, regional and global issues. There is a new momentum in our relations and a shared desire to take it to a higher level.
Since the 1980s, there have been four Prime Ministerial visits from India to Egypt: Shri Rajiv Gandhi (1985); Shri P. V. Narasimha Rao (1995); Shri I. K. Gujral (1997); and Dr. Manmohan Singh (2009, NAM Summit). From the Egyptian side, President Hosni Mubarak visited India in 1982, in 1983 (NAM Summit) and again in 2008. High level exchanges with Egypt continued after the 2011 Egyptian Revolution and President Mohamed Morsy visited India in March 2013. External Affairs Minister (EAM) of India visited Cairo in March 2012 and in August 2015, and the Egyptian Foreign Minister visited India in December 2013.
The year 2015 has seen more intense political cooperation between two countries with regular interactions at leadership and Ministerial level. PM Shri Narendra Modi met President Sisi on the sidelines of UNGA, New York in September 2015. Their talks focussed on counter terrorism, deepening economic engagement, and regional issues. PM Modi and President Mukherjee met President Sisi during the Third India-Africa Forum Summit in New Delhi in October 2015.
2015 also saw, five Ministerial level visits from India to Egypt; which included Shri Prakash Javadekar who participated in the 15th African Ministerial Conference on Environment (AMCEN) in March 2015; Special Envoy of PM, Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi met President Sisi in July 2015; Shipping Minister Shri Nitin Gadkari, represented India at the opening of the new Suez Canal in August 2015 and met President Sisi; and EAM Smt. Sushma Swaraj visited Cairo and met President Sisi, Foreign Minister and Secretary General of League of Arab States in August 2015 (two MoUs on Tourism and Science and Technology cooperation were signed during the visit); Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, Minister of State for Parliamentary and Minority Affairs participated in the 25th International Conference of Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs at Luxor, Egypt in November 2015.
Deputy National Security Advisor Dr. Arvind Gupta visited Egypt in July 2015 and held talks with his Egyptian counterpart. Egyptian NSA Ms. Faiza Abou el-Naga met NSA and Defence Secretary at New Delhi in December 2015 and a MoU on cooperation between the Secretariats of NSCs of both countries was signed during the meeting. The 11th round of Foreign Office Consultations was held at Delhi in December 2015.
Important Bilateral Treaties and Agreements include
· Treaty of Friendship (1955)
· Trade Agreement (1978)
· Agreement on the establishment of the Joint Commission (1983)
· Agreement on combating international terrorism and trans-national and organized Crime (1995)
· Agreement on Tourism Cooperation (1997)
· The Partnership Agreement (2006)
· Extradition Treaty (2008)
· MoU on Trade and Technical Cooperation (2008)
· MoU on Cooperation in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space for Peaceful Purposes (2008)
· MoU on Cooperation in field of Health and Medicine (2008)
· MoU on Renewable Energy Cooperation (2011)
· MoU on Cooperation in the field of Environmental Protection (2012)
· MoU on Cooperation in the field of Electoral Management and Administration
· MoU on Cooperation in Information and Communication Technology (2013)
· MoU on Cooperation in Cyber Security (2013)
· MoU on the establishment of a Centre for Excellence in IT (2013)
· MoU on Cooperation in the field of Micro and Small Enterprises (2013)
· MoU on Cooperation in the field of Protection, Preservation and Management of Cultural Heritage (2013)
· MoU on Up-gradation of a vocational Training Centre in Cairo(2013)
· Letter of Intent on cooperation in the field of solar energy (2013)
· Letter of Intent concerning launch services for Egyptian Nano Satellite on board Indian PSLV (2013)
· MOU between the GOI & Government of Arab Republic of Egypt for Air Transport Arrangements (Aug 2014)
· Executive Programme on Science & Technology cooperation for the period of 2015-2018 (Dec 2014)
· MOU on scientific cooperation between National Research Centre, Egypt (NRC) and Council for Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) [August 2015]
· MOU on Tourism cooperation (August 2015)
· MOU on cooperation between Secretaries of National Security Councils of India and Egypt (December 2015)
Political Wing at the Embassy:
Dr. B. Sriram, Second Secretary(Pol. & Inf.)
Phone No.: 2736-4941
Fax No.: 2738-2965